- Histotechnician | Soderstrom Skin Institute
- Histotechnologist | Colorado Dermatology Institute
- Histologist (Research Specialist) | Unviersity of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation
- Histologist – Duluth, MN (32831BR) | Essentia Health
- Mohs Histotechnologist | Ann Arbor Dermatology
NSH Webinar: The Basics are Critical: Tissue Fixation, Pre-analytical Variability, and Biomarkers
Presented by Jennifer Freeland, BS, HTL (ASCP), Research & Development Manager, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Kalamazoo, MI
Tissue fixation is one of the very first chapters in all the histology text books for a very good reason: it is critical to specimen quality. With the emergence of clinically relevant biomarkers, there is the renewed focus on standardization of fixation and other pre-analytical variables: fixation has again become a central topic. This webinar will explore fixation in a historical sense, explore fixative types and chemistries, and compare results of poorly fixed tissues with well-fixed tissues. We will also consider the impact of fixation and other affiliated pre-analytical variables on modern biomarkers of clinical interest.