- Histotechnician - Emerald Coast Dermatology and Skin Surgery Center - Crestview, Florida
- Histotechnologist - Cary Gastroenterology - Cary, North Carolina
- Histology Technician, Anatomical Pathology - Kaiser Permanente - Portland, Oregon
- IHC Histotechnologist - Suburban Hospital, a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine - Bethesda, Maryland
- Histotechnician - LabCorp - Phoenix, Arizona
NSH Teleconference: Assessing Competency Assessment in the Histology Laboratory
Presented by: Joelle Weaver, HTL(ASCP), Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
In this presentation we will review the fundamental elements to a competency system in the Histology laboratory. Included will be practice applications to routine tasks such as embedding and microtomy, with ideas for metrics, and quantifying performance. Assess-ment of knowledge based competencies will also be discussed. The importance of emphasizing quality in relationship to quantity will be examined. Ideas for increasing employee engagement will be presented, to include how to tie achievement of competency stand-ards to the annual evaluation, and how to motivate employees using recognition and reward. The presentation will conclude with an overview of competency standards outlined by accrediting bodies such as CAP and Joint commission as they apply to the histology laboratory.